What is The International Baccalaureate® (IB)?
Since it was founded in 1968, the IB’s mission has been built on a cornerstone of creating a better world through education.
On 8 July 2019, there were 6,745 programmes being offered worldwide, across 5,139 schools in 156 countries. At about 15 per cent of these schools are IBO World Schools offering all three programmes.
More information about the IB programmes can be found on IBO website
IBO mission statement
The IBO aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end, the IBO works with schools, governments and international organisations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their diﬀerences, can also be right.
IB Learner Profile
Each of the IB’s programmes is committed to the development of students according to the IB learner profile.
The profile aims to develop learners who are:
- Inquirers – have a natural curiosity and enjoy active learning
- Knowledgeable – acquire in-depth knowledge and develop a broad understanding of disciplines
- Thinkers – show agency and apply thinking skills critically and creatively
- Communicators – understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively
- Principled – act with integrity and honesty and take responsibility for their actions
- Open-minded – seek and evaluate a range of points of view and are willing to grow from the experience
- Caring – show empathy and respect as well as the desire to make a positive difference in the lives of others and the environment
- Risk-takers – approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and want to explore new ideas
- Balanced – understand the importance of intellectual, physical and emotional balance
- Reflective – give thoughtful consideration to your own learning experience
You can read about the IB learner profile in more detail.
IB at MHG
Miina Härma Gümnaasium is one of the IB World Schools. In addition to the national curriculum, which we have been teaching for 107 years already we, together with the Estonian Ministry of Education and Research and Tartu City Government, have also been providing the internationally recognised IB Diploma Programme since 2011, IB Primary Years Programme since 2014 and Middle Years Programme since 2019.
|Grades 1-4||Grades 5-9||PreIB |